Tehran [Iran], August 18: Iranian authorities have signalled they could shift to a more offensive approach to the war with the United States as a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Washington expires.
Brigadier General Yadollah Javani, head of the political bureau of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), told state television on Sunday night that his forces were ready to take whatever action is needed to defend the country.
Tensions between Iran and the US over control of the Strait of Hormuz have continued to rise despite a ceasefire being agreed between them in June. While the MoU effectively collapsed after fighting restarted last month, the agreement officially expired on Monday.
"The enemy started the war and our efforts have been defensive, although they might take on an offensive aspect," said Javani. He did not elaborate on what exactly the offensive measures could entail, but said opponents should expect "strategic surprises".
IRGC spokesman Hossein Mohebbi last week identified US and regional allies' infrastructure - such as energy networks, power plants and internet-connected systems - as potential targets, if the US hits Iran's civilian infrastructure.
Hardline Iranian politicians and media outlets have discussed the idea of mounting a ground incursion against US interests in Bahrain and Kuwait if Washington invades Iran.
The Iranian emphasis on offensive deterrence against the US comes after Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, viewed as a hardliner, consolidated his power by appointing several IRGC old guard and confidants to key military and security positions last week.
Khamenei said Major General Ahmad Vahidi's rise to commander-in-chief of the IRGC must represent a mix of "maximum deterrence" with readiness for "powerful offensive operations against the enemy".
Source: Qatar Tribune